Local public administration shall be exercised by local representative and еxесutive bodies which are responsible for the state of affairs of the respective territory.
1. Local representative bodies - maslihats - shall express the will of the population of respective administrative-territorial units and with regard to the common public interests shall determine the measures needed for its realization, and control their implementation.
2. Maslihats shall be elected by the population on the basis of universal, equal suffrage under secret ballot for a four -year term.
3. A deputy of a maslihat may be a citizen of the Republic of Kazakhstan who has reached twenty years of age. A citizen of the Republic may be a deputy of only one maslihat.
4. The jurisdiction of maslihats shall include:
1) approval of plans, economic and social programs for development of the territory, local budget and reports of their performance;
2) decision of issues of local administrative-territorial organization in their jurisdiction;
3) consideration of reports by heads of local еxесutive bodies on the issues delegated by law to the jurisdiction of a maslihat;
4) formation of standing commissions and other working bodies of a maslihat, nearing reports about their activity, decision of other issues connected with organization of the work of a maslihat;
5) еxеrcise other authorities for insuring of the rights and legitimate interests of citizens in accordance with the legislation of the Republic.
5. The powers of a maslihat shall be prematurely terminated by the Senate on the grounds and according to the procedure established by law as well as in the case of adoption of a decision about self-dissolution.
6. The jurisdiction of maslihats, procedure of their organization and activity, and legal status of their deputies shall be established by law.
1. Local еxесutive bodies shall be a part of a unified system of the еxесutive bodies of the Republic of Kazakhstan, and ensure conduct of the general state policy of the еxесutive power in conjunction with the interests and development needs of the respective territory.
2. The jurisdiction of local еxесutive bodies shall include:
1) development of drafts of plans, economic and social programs for development of the territory, local budget and provision of their realization;
2) management of public property;
3) appointment to and release from office the heads of local еxесutive bodies, resolution of other issues connected with organization of the work of local еxесutive bodies;
4) exercise other powers delegated to local еxесutive bodies by the legislation of the Republic in the interests of local public administration.
3. A local еxесutive body shall be headed by an akim of the respective administrative-territorial unit who is a representative of the President and the Government of the Republic.
4. Akims of the oblasts, major cities and the capital shall be appointed to office by the President of the Republic on the recommendation of the Prime Minister. Akims of other administrative-territorial units shall be appointed or elected to office in the order, determined by the President of the Republic of Kazakhstan. The President of the Republic shall have the right to release akims from office at his own discretion.
5. A maslihat shall have the right by two-thirds of votes from the total number of its deputies to express non-confidence in the akim and raise the issue of his release from office respectively before the President of the Republic or a senior akim. The powers of akims of the oblasts, the major cities and the capital shall terminate when a newly elected President assumes office.
6. The jurisdiction of local еxесutive bodies, organization and procedure of their activity shall be established by law.
1. Maslihats shall adopt decisions on the issues of their jurisdiction; akims shall adopt decisions and resolutions which are binding on the territory of the respective administrative-territorial unit.
2. Drafts of decisions of maslihats envisioning a reduction of local budgetary revenues or an increase of local budgetary expenditures may be submitted for consideration only with a positive resolution of the akim.
3. Decisions of maslihats not corresponding to the Constitution and the laws of the Republic of Kazakhstan may be annulled by a legal process.
4. Decisions and resolutions of akims may be respectively annulled by the President, the Government of the Republic of Kazakhstan or a senior akim, as well as by a legal process.
1. In the Republic of Kazakhstan, local self-administration which ensures that the issues of local significance shall be resolved independently by the population shall be recognized.
2. Local self-administration shall be exercised by the population directly through elections as well as through elective and other bodies of local self-administration in rural and urban local communities covering the territories on which groups of the population live compactly.
3. The procedure or organization and activity of the bodies of local self-administration shall be determined by citizens themselves within the limits of their powers established by law.
4. The independence of the bodies of local self-administration shall be guaranteed within the limits of their powers established by law.